If your fleet operates in the construction sector, it’s essential to track your equipment and vehicles in order to gain invaluable insights into fleet operations while maintaining an accurate inventory. GPS tracking for equipment is the most efficient way to monitor yellow iron assets and how they are being used.
Our industry-leading software combined with GPS equipment tracking devices help fleet managers keep an eye on their valuable equipment. Read on to learn more about the features, capabilities, and operational benefits of using construction equipment trackers.
Should You Install Equipment Tracking Devices?
In short, yes! Protecting your most expensive assets with a specialized GPS for heavy equipment is a no-brainer, and it'll help protect materials, tools, and other equipment as well. GPS construction tracking for equipment is crucial, especially if assets are spread across many different job sites or gear is regularly left unattended.
Construction equipment tracking can be used for all manner of powered heavy equipment, including:
Benefits of GPS Construction Equipment Tracking
There are many benefits to purchasing GPS tracking for equipment beyond just the primary function of knowing where each asset is located. Efficient equipment GPS tracking techniques ensure maximum oversight and minimal asset losses, meaning more efficiency with the added benefits of increased revenue and profitability.
Specific advantages include:
- Improve data accuracy – Using a GPS tracker for equipment generates precise information and reduces data entry errors.
- Increase accountability – Managers can add additional fields of information to track which employees are responsible for which assets.
- Reduce theft – Equipment cannot be removed from a work site unnoticed.
- Eliminate unauthorized usage - Unauthorized trips can be avoided by setting up custom geofences that trigger alerts when an asset leaves a designated area.
- Increase efficiency - Advanced equipment tracking devices also calculate miles driven, idle time, and fuel consumption.
- Update asset lists – "Ghost" assets that have been lost, stolen, or retired can be easily removed from the company records.
- General peace of mind - Keep an eye on equipment when leaving them unattended.
Features of Construction Equipment Trackers
Without using a GPS tracking system for equipment, fleet asset tracking can feel like a full-time job with many hours wasted on laborious manual entry processes. Using construction equipment trackers saves time better spent growing your enterprise.
Plus, in addition to recording where each machine is located, the best GPS trackers for heavy equipment also provide data on how effectively resources are being used. For example, with our GPS fleet tracking software, fleet managers can use their GPS for construction equipment to assist with:
- Understanding equipment utilization
- Needs to purchase more assets or divest
- Fuel consumption
- Idle time
- Location history for a given timeframe
- Battery level/power supply data
GPS trackers for equipment can be used on-site, remotely, or on the go. Centralized cloud-based platforms allow managers to access real-time data at any time, regardless of location.
Ultimately, the amount of functionality and data provided depends on the sophistication of the individual devices and the system used. That said, the best equipment GPS tracking services offer the following features:
- Easy installation
- A user-friendly interface
- Accessibility on any device (desktop, tablet, or mobile)
- Easily searchable information by address, point of interest, geofence, or time frame
- An easy-to-read format with options to export reports
- Comprehensive data sets on each component
- Fuel and maintenance insights
- Automated alerts on unusual activity
Types of Heavy Equipment Tracking
Using the right GPS tracker for equipment combined with powerful asset management software makes it quick and easy to track all a company’s machinery. Tracking devices range from bulky mounted models for heavy equipment to thumb-drive-sized units better suited to smaller or rented assets.
Whichever type of GPS tracking system for equipment you choose to install on your vehicles and machinery, there are a few additional functionality factors to consider:
- Starter interrupt devices – It is increasingly common for construction equipment tracking devices to come with starter interrupt features that allow fleet managers to disable the asset’s starter as soon as an issue occurs, rendering it impossible to operate.
- Tamper alerts – Some GPS tracking systems come with advanced notification features that alert fleet managers immediately if the system is tampered with.
- Address verification – In addition to verifying multiple locations for approved usage, some trackers can also identify and record additional sites where an asset is stationary for long periods of time.
We specialize in all-in-one fleet management solutions that make it easier to protect your construction vehicles and equipment. Learn how to effortlessly keep track of all your assets in real time through one comprehensive view while tapping into invaluable data metrics that help keep your business running smoothly. Contact our team or book a demo today to get started and discover more about our asset tracking solution for heavy equipment.